PatternSkin is developed to provide a CSS based default look and feel for TWiki - flexible and W3C-compliant.
Its layout and color scheme are designed to provide a nice, clean and productive editing environment
. For use in corporate or perhaps in personal websites it should be fairly easy to tune the looks or even create a PatternSkin-based new skin.
Creating your own look
It is easy to tune the look and feel of PatternSkin by changing the color and space (margin, padding) settings in the Style Sheet files.
You may also choose to radically change the look and create a PatternSkin-based new skin. This is easier than to create a skin by writing new template files; you can concentrate on how things should look instead of what elements should get displayed.
PatternSkin has been tested successfully on the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 6.0, 5.5 (note: Explorer 5.0 is not supported: will function but shows visual quirks)
- Mac OS X
- Safari 2.0.3
You do not need to install anything on the browser to use this skin. The following instructions are for the administrator who installs the skin on the server where TWiki is running.
PatternSkin is included with TWiki by default. Use the following instructions only if you are upgrading PatternSkin.
- Download the ZIP file from the Skin Home page (see below)
PatternSkin.zip in your twiki installation directory
- Test if installed: /do/view/TWiki/PatternSkin?skin=pattern
- For skin activation see TWikiSkins
If you have set the SKIN variable setting to
and you still don't see the layout as on the screenshot
, a few settings in may have been disabled.
Check these variables here:
- TWIKILAYOUTURL = /pub/TWiki/PatternSkin/layout.css
- TWIKISTYLEURL = /pub/TWiki/PatternSkin/style.css
- TWIKICOLORSURL = /pub/TWiki/PatternSkin/colors.css
- SKIN = tagme, topmenu, pattern
If TWIKILAYOUTURL or TWIKISTYLEURL don't give a value or point to non-existing files, check in TWikiPreferences
that the following variables do exist and that they are set to on:
* %TWIKIWEB%.PatternSkin settings:
* Set TWIKILAYOUTURL = %PUBURLPATH%/%TWIKIWEB%/PatternSkin/layout.css
* Set TWIKISTYLEURL = %PUBURLPATH%/%TWIKIWEB%/PatternSkin/style.css
* Set TWIKICOLORSURL = %PUBURLPATH%/%TWIKIWEB%/PatternSkin/colors.css
If this still does not work, contact the administrator who installs skins.
For further troubleshooting and feedback, go to TWiki:Plugins/PatternSkinDev
. Report bugs in the Support web
Leave remarks, suggestions and other feedback in TWiki:Plugins.PatternSkinDev