Installing AMPL at Home
You can easily set up AMPL on your (Windows) computer by:
- Downloading a "starter kit" from the AMPL website;
- Extracting it on your computer;
- Creating a batch file to set up AMPL.
- Go to the AMPL website at www.ampl.com.
- Click on the download link to get the Student Edition.
- Get the quick start zip file (for Windows) and save it to the appropriate directory
<AMPL root>. Here we will use
<AMPL root> = C:\Temp
Your directory should look like this:
Open the zip file and extract it into
<AMPL root>. Make sure to check
Use folder names.
After extraction your
<AMPL root> directory should look like this:
Creating a Batch File
To simplify your use of AMPL it is easiest to set it up to run from any directory. To do this you need to create a batch file that will set the path to your AMPL executable and then open a Command Line (aka DOS Prompt) window. Here are the steps to do this:
You can now run AMPL from anywhere on your computer.
-- MichaelOSullivan - 27 Feb 2008
- Right click on the Desktop and create a new Text Document.
- Name the document
setup_ampl.bat. If queried about changing the extension, click
- Open Notepad. Go to the start menu, select Programs, then Accessories and finally Notepad.
setup_ampl.bat in Notepad.
- Add the following lines to
setup_ampl.bat and then double click on
setup_ampl.bat in your Desktop. You will get a command line window (also known as a DOS prompt) pop up and your path will be set to find AMPL.