There are three core parts of XtreemFS system:
- osd - object storage data (actual data storage)
- mrc - meta data and replica catalog server (headers storage)
- dir - directory (directory service)
(Note: dir service is similar to 'mon' service in Ceph
Debian Package Setup
It is recommended to have the Linux kernel 2.6.36 RC 7 (this is the October 2010 kernel).
Download and Install
We are using Ubuntu
and the build process is described in detail at external: https://www.xtreemfs.org/quickstart.php
Download the following packages from external: https://www.xtreemfs.org/download.php?t=debs
Install the packages
$ dpkg -i xtreemfs-client-1.2.3.deb xtreemfs-server-1.2.3.deb xtreemfs-backend-1.2.3.deb
on all the machines (Note. You can only install xtreemfs-server on server machines and xtreemfs-client on client machines, but all machines need xtreemfs-backend and probably xtreemfs-tools).
For details see the single machine install & setup. external https://www.xtreemfs.org/quickstart.php?t=d
General note: very important to follow step by step;
Create a directory for OSDs
- s1 - osd0 (s1)
- s2 - osd1 (s2)
- s3 - mrc (s3)
- s4 - dir (s4)
plus one additional node for client (in this case, we will use s4). All OSD, MRC and DIR should have the configuration file /etc/xos/xtreemfs/*.properties - dirconfig.properties (dir service) - mrcconfig.properties (mrc service) - osdproperties (osd service).
Since the setup is configued using *.properties, except for the dir service (s4), both osd and mrc must have their respective property file changed to point to the location (IP or hostname) of dir,
- For MRC (s3), edit /etc/xos/xreemfs/mrcconfig.properties, and change the default line dir_service.host = localhost to dir_service.host = s4
- For OSD1 and OSD2 (s1 and s2), edit /etc/xos/xreemfs/osdconfig.properties, and change the line dir_service.host = localhost to dir_service.host = s4 *
Also, you need to make sure you are mounting the OSDs in the correct location
- For OSD1 and OSD2, make sure to mount the device to "/var/lib/xtreemfs/objs/" as indicated in the line, object_dir = /var/lib/xtreemfs/objs/ It is recommended to mount ext3/ext4 file system.
Now, start up the servers (dir, mrc, osd). We recommned this order
- /etc/init.d/xtreemfs-dir start
- /etc/init.d/xtreemfs-mrc start
- /etc/init.d/xtreemfs-osd start
make sure to watch out for any errors.
See external https://www.xtreemfs.org/quickstart.php
from more details.
This is the where you mount and use XtreemFS