Contributions to this skin are appreciated. Please update the skin page at
https://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/MovedSkin or provide feedback at
If you are a TWiki contributor please update the plugin in the SVN repository.
Inform users that a TWiki site has moved to a new location
Sometimes a TWiki site is migrated to a new location with a new URL. For convenience users visiting the old site should find the new site. When this skin is installed and enabled at the old TWiki site, users will see a yellow moved message box instead of page content. A configurable
MOVEDMESSAGE is set to inform users of the new location.
For scheduled downtime & temporary maintenance it is better to use the read-only skin mode of the TopMenuSkin or PatternSkin instead of this MovedSkin. For this, define a
BROADCASTMESSAGE setting and a
Set READONLYSKINMODE = 1 setting in Main.TWikiPreferences.
Note: You do not need to install anything in the browser to use this skin. The following instructions are for the administrator who installs the skin on the TWiki server.
- For an automated installation, run the configure script, follow "Find More Extensions" in the in the Extensions section, and look for the MovedSkin.
- Or, follow these manual installation steps:
- Download the ZIP file from the Plugins home (see below).
MovedSkin.zip in your twiki installation directory. Content:
| File: |
| Description: |
| Skin topic |
| Skin Perl module |
| Screenshots |
| Skin template file |
- Set the ownership of the extracted directories and files to the webserver user.
Enabling Moved Message
1. Define a MOVEDMESSAGE setting in Main.TWikiPreferences so that the moved message takes effect site-wide. Example:
* Set MOVEDMESSAGE = __NOTE:__ The %WIKITOOLNAME% site has been moved to a new location. The page you are trying to access is now at: %BR%%BR% https://twiki.example.com/do/view/%WEB%/%TOPIC%. %BR% Please update your bookmarks. %BR%%BR% Questions? Ask %WIKIWEBMASTER%
view/%WEB%/%TOPIC% makes sure that the user ends up the new location of the current page.
If you want the page to redirect automatically to the new site you can add a meta tag to the MOVEDMESSAGE setting. This example redirects after 5 seconds:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5;url=https://twiki.example.com/do/view/%WEB%/%TOPIC%" />
2. Test the yellow moved message box:
3. Active the skin site-wide by changing the SKIN setting in Main.TWikiPreferences:
* Set SKIN = moved
TWikiSkins has details on skin activation.
Needed by TWiki.org skin package reports:
Notes to skin maintainer on table rows:
- Set SHORTDESCRIPTION = Inform users that a TWiki site has moved to a new location
Related topic: TWikiSkins, TWikiSkinBrowser, UserDocumentationCategory, AdminDocumentationCategory
- Screenshot: Attach a 600x130 pixel screenshot and a full screen shot to the Skin topic, then update the href and img src to reflect the names.
- The Description, Screenshot and Base Name rows are needed by the TWikiSkinBrowser
| META FILEATTACHMENT
|| attachment="fullscreen.png" attr="h" comment="" date="1355703591" name="fullscreen.png" path="fullscreen.png" size="35104" user="TWikiContributor" version="1"
| META FILEATTACHMENT
|| attachment="screenshot.png" attr="h" comment="" date="1355703302" name="screenshot.png" path="screenshot.png" size="47187" user="TWikiContributor" version="1"