TWiki is a Web-based collaboration platform
- A TWiki site is an easy-to-use, full-featured open communications environment:
- people anywhere on the Web or on an intranet can meet
- rich Web text, images, and online multimedia are easily shared
- documents and other files can be uploaded and downloaded
- all you need is a Web browser and any available network connection
TWiki is an UNUSUAL Web-based collaboration platform
- There's no doubt that, to most people, TWiki at first seems almost the opposite of how the Web and online communications "normally" work. Why?
- TWiki operates like a whiteboard for the Web - it lets you and all other users write, place pictures, and post links, anywhere on any page.
- Not only that, everyone can EDIT anything, anywhere on a page.
- At first, this may seem "too" open - it soon becomes second-nature, allowing you the freedom to edit and update the way you want to.
TWiki is a powerful Web enhancement...
- TWiki's parsing engine is written in Perl. It reads a text file, and converts TWiki shorthand into standard HTML, on the fly. The point is to:
- make adding and editing text simple (How simple? Click on the Edit link at the bottom of the page...)
- let you find information fast (WebSearch)
- TWiki provides an intuitive way for people to meet and collaborate, that aspires to the Zen ideals known as WabiSabi. It finds beauty in the imperfect and ephemeral and constantly evolving. (When it comes down to it, that's all you need.)
"TWiki" stands for...
- Wiki wiki means "quick" in Hawaiian. The shuttle at Honolulu Airport is called the wiki wiki bus, which is where the original Wiki web got its name.
- TWiki is short for TakeFive Wiki, the name of the company where its founder Peter Thoeny worked. (It was later discovered that Twiki is also the name of an AI robot that co-starred in the Buck Rogers movie and TV series from 1979.)
Selected TWiki Topics...
Related Topics: UserDocumentationCategory
- TWiki® is a registered trademarks of TWiki founder Peter Thoeny, Twiki Inc. The TWiki logo and the "Collaborate with TWiki" tagline are trademarks of Peter Thoeny.
- TWiki is developed as Free Software under the GNU/GPL.
- TWiki has its root in the GPLed JosWiki. Many thanks to Markus Peter and Dave Harris for creating JosWiki!
- TWiki's home address is https://twiki.org/
- The latest TWiki release is available from https://twiki.org/download.html
- This site is powered by TWiki version TWiki-6.1.0, Mon, 16 Jul 2018, build 30610
-- Contributors: TWiki:Main.MikeMannix
This topic: TWiki >
Topic revision: r29 - 2012-03-29 - TWikiContributor